driving miss robyn: the tangle that is Christmas and other stuff <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d31774133\x26blogName\x3ddriving+miss+robyn\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://missrobynbme.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_AU\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://missrobynbme.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8746203904051304822', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

a journey of self discovery. You just never know what we might see. Is that a fairy ring under that rowan tree? Look! - a hedgewitch, I wonder what she is brewing in her cauldron today. Oh, and look at that poor menopausal soul, she needs our love & understanding. We may take a stop at the creativity school or a wander through the garden. And maybe, we will take the time machine back to the past! But wherever we go, we will always take time to stop for tea.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Katoomba, NSW, Australia

here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.


"a friend is someone who knows all about you, and still likes you" my dear DAILY PARCELS

Saturday, December 09, 2006

the tangle that is Christmas and other stuff

can someone please explain how this happens?

last year after Christmas, I carefully took the lights of the tree in my dining room and wrapped them round & round my arm. carefully. I then tied them up with some gorgeous gold ribbon and placed them on top of the decorations in the 'dining room' box. On Thursday, I decided it was time to put this tree up and decorate it. So I took the lid of the box and there were the lights all neat and tied. Until I took the ribbon off. It was like they had a mind of their own, like they had had enough of being constrained for 12 mths, tied up like a turkey. And in a blink of an eye - I had the tangled mess that you see above. Or maybe - this happened to show me what my poor frazzled Christmas brain is like - a big tangled mess.



so I got on with my decorating - this tree is not my main tree {I have a real tree in my sitting room as my main tree}. This tree is a tradition now - when I first put it up about 15 years ago, I lived elsewhere and my kitchen was huge. In one corner I had an old kooka stove that was for show only. One Christmas, my home was featured in a country magazine so I had to pull some pretty fantastic ideas from my brain. I decided to do a kitchen themed tree - but didn't really want to go hanging my utensils all over it. So I made some cloth gingerbread men - with a little cinnamon stick, some cloves and a teenie tiny cookie cutter all tucked into his pocket. I made about 20 or so and decided to give them away to friends after the photo shoot. A tradition was born. Each year from then on, I have put this tree up and made a different decoration, sometimes more than one design.


I haven't been as industrious this year - I have made decorations to send to my friends but not enough to give away as friends visit - I plan to give them some Christmas cake & awhile back I bought some Christmas soaps from Peggy. The idea was to have them in a little pressed glss bowl at my door to give out to my friends instead of my home made decoration. But when I unwrapped the soaps, Peggy had packaged them up into individual cardboard boxes and tied them with raffia! Just like a gift. so this is what I decided to do :~



don't they look wonderful? Just perfect!

and here are some close ups of my decorations ~ most I have made myself, some were given to me (there is a little ball that Leeann sent to me in my Christmas stocking) & some were purchased at some time during my travels - all with a meaning.




Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Lights always do that don't they?!
Your tree with it's special ornaments is so warm. It looks lovely.The little soap parcels beneath it look perfect.

7:43 am  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Grrrr...Blogger just ate my comment! Let's try this again....I say that strands of lights have a mind of their own! Every year I put mine away all neatly tied...yet when I take them out the following year, they're all tangled up! lol I just love that tree and the ornaments in it are just precious!! What a great idea to put some of Peggy's soaps under it for your visiting friends...Peggy put some of her soaps in my stocking and it's just heavenly!! Hugs xox

8:17 am  
Blogger Pam Aries said...

The Christmas Gremlins did it! I love your ornaments! Thec soaps will be wonderful gifts! I love yummy smelling soap!

10:03 am  
Blogger Peggy said...

I love the tree and ornaments. Hope your soaps are a hit with your friends.

10:05 am  
Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

How beautiful! You are so talented Robyn, these ornaments, the boxes, the tree...all wonderful. I don't know how lights do that either, a bit of a holiday mystery.

10:11 am  
Blogger Tinker said...

Yep, they're wiggily, twisted little things, those Christmas lights, you don't dare take your eyes off them for a moment :-)

Your ornaments are adorable (and much better behaved than the lights!)

10:44 am  
Blogger A bird in the hand said...

Your house must be such a warm, inviting place, with such a lovely Christmas tree and little parcels tied up with string....

xoxo

11:10 am  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

I love your tree, you are right it is just perfect. I know exactly what you mean by lights having spent the morning sitting on the living room floor surrounding by a tangle or them and reaching howling point, and I did screech, husband rushed through and actually detangled them for me. Only to have to repeat the scene with my long chain of gold balls.!

11:46 am  
Blogger Heather said...

Same thing happens with my necklaces...

Beautiful tree Robyn!! Such wonderful ornaments.

12:26 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

I love your lovely decorations! With five kitties in our house - decorating is virtually impossible! I stick with my little flag outside the house (Peace is what it says currently!) :)

2:51 pm  
Blogger kansasrose said...

What adorable ornaments...they have your touch and personality...you know Robyn the tangled lights are one of those mysterious of the cosmos...like the one shoe in the road...or the dryer that ate one sock? Very strange indeed....

3:06 pm  
Blogger paris parfait said...

This happens every year with lights everywhere. Who knows what they get up to when they're packed away??!! Your ornaments and tree are beautiful and creative. xo

8:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home