driving miss robyn: a bit of this and a bit of that <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d31774133\x26blogName\x3ddriving+miss+robyn\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://missrobynbme.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_AU\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://missrobynbme.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8746203904051304822', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

a journey of self discovery. You just never know what we might see. Is that a fairy ring under that rowan tree? Look! - a hedgewitch, I wonder what she is brewing in her cauldron today. Oh, and look at that poor menopausal soul, she needs our love & understanding. We may take a stop at the creativity school or a wander through the garden. And maybe, we will take the time machine back to the past! But wherever we go, we will always take time to stop for tea.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Katoomba, NSW, Australia

here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.


"a friend is someone who knows all about you, and still likes you" my dear DAILY PARCELS

Monday, October 02, 2006

a bit of this and a bit of that

this weekend is a long weekend here in Australia - not sure why - gee, how patriotic am I ? I think it is Labour day - and that does not mean that they have a public holiday for women who have gone through labour, I am sure.
however - I have been BY MYSELF all weekend - Joe has gone riding & Sophie has gone to the beach. I have been a free woman, to do what I like, when I like. The house stays tidy - I cannot believe it - I go out into the garden and come back in for lunch and the house is still tidy! I make a sandwich - put my plate and cup in the dishwasher - and when I come back - there are no glasses or cups on the bench. ahhhh bliss - but I do miss them.
On Saturday - I played pick up sticks - picking up all the branches and sticks that were strewn over my garden from the windstorm during the week. I planned my moon-garden and I yelled at my chickens. You see one has become a cannibal - it is eating my eggs. I know which one it is but I don't know what to do about it.
Yesterday - I planted zucchini and watered my garden. I also played collage - I wanted to make a collage for Spring Equinox to put into my BOS. I actually like it - I didn't rush - I did a little, went away, came back, played some more til I got it how I wanted and yes, I do like it.



I do my collages in an art book with spiral pages, however they tend to curl if I use glue so I need to find something else.
so Monday today - Joe will be home this afternoon & I am going to go out into the garden shortly and pull my forget me nots out - gawd, I know why they are called forget me nots. I think I posted once about them on daily parcels - must take a look later.
I have also started my mixed media memoir for this week
* ORANGE * am having fun with it although orange is not a favourite colour of mine

21 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Robyn, I love love love this collage! It is perfect for Spring Equinox. My pages curl also. I have some paper weights (okay, they're glass lids for some candles but I use them as paper weights) that I use to put on the corners. It seems to do the trick fairly well.

I know exactly what you mean about the house staying tidy. It's kind of hard to miss everyone a whole bunch while you're reveling in the kitchen staying clean. I always think "gee, I'd never have to clean if I lived alone." LOL But I do miss them if they're gone long. tee hee I haven't actually been alone, alone in years because even if noone else is here, Tim's mom is. I am learning that all this collaging and stuff helps me to get away alone in my head. :)

9:15 am  
Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

that collage is lovely Robyn, so glad to see you are going head long in to it with such great results. I saw a collager on TV the other day and one in a book that says they use that doublesided tape, comes in a dispenser. This may be a good answer for collages done in journals. (prevents the curl). I have not tried it yet.
XOXO

10:20 am  
Blogger Peggy said...

Have a great week and don't yell at the chickens too much. LOL

10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it so much fun to have some time to yourself. Love your collage. Oh Orange is my absolute favorite color. Have fun with it

10:35 am  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love the idea of the earth laughing in flowers...a charming collage...

12:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great collage Robyn. I wouldn't know where to begin..! I wish my forget me nots needed to be pulled out, between our harsh winters and the rabbits, it's so hard to keep any growing at all.Isn't it nice to have some quiet time alone..but it's nice when everyone comes home too.

1:00 pm  
Blogger Janet said...

It's nice to occasionally have the house to yourself. But then I'm always glad when my hubby comes home.

The collage is wonderful. I like the message it has, and the laughing woman with the flower dress.

1:30 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

What public holiday are you getting that the rest of us aren't?? No days off down South, I can assure you! Our next one is Cup Day on the first Tuesday of November.

1:55 pm  
Blogger ~Nancy~ said...

Alone.........
That is me in these old Kentucky hills.
The feller has moved to North Carolina and begins his new job tomorrow while I remain here until we find another house to buy there. It will soon get lonely but for now, I have tons of work to keep me busy, least of which is putting order back into this huge house after we had a flood from a faulty washing machine hose. Ah, yes..it happened right before he had to leave!!
Regarding your chickens...I seem to remember a similar problem wayyyy back on the farm when I was a youngster. I think my Mom spread out crushed oyster shells or something like that from the Farmer's Co-op to add minerals to their diet as we were told the egg eating was actually an attempt to get at the calcium in the shells. Maybe you can investgate this a bit more.
Loved your collage!

2:43 pm  
Blogger A bird in the hand said...

I love your sense of humour. You should do more like this.

xoxo

2:44 pm  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

ORANGE ..THE FLAME FOR AUTUMN COLOR!
Your collage is wonderful yes the earth does indeed laugh with flowers!You ms.
hedgewitch don't experience Halloween!!...oh the fun you miss...I have begun my spellbound fun!!Wish you were here to share in the fun..

4:31 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Miss*Robyn,

This post was so much fun to read. I feel liberated by the image of you swirling around the house and garden unfettered by other people's needs.

When I was young, my father took all six kids up to northern Wisconsin for two weeks each summer. My mom stayed home and ..... well, we just couldn't imagine what she could do for all thata time without us there.

Decades later she told us that during those two weeks she "lived the life of Riley." She went to the movies, ate chocolate, smoked cigarettes (!), went running, developed photographs in her darkroom, stayed up late, and read books on the back porch.

5:03 pm  
Blogger Tinker said...

Love your collage - that's always been a favorite garden quote. I remember my mom would keep the eggshells from the eggs we used, and crumble them up and throw some of the eggshell crumbs out with the scratch each morning - she said it made the eggshells stronger (??) I don't know if that was an old wive's tale or not. I just remember getting in trouble if I didn't crumble up an eggshell and put it in the the container she kept of it!
I love forget-me-nots, but I've only gotten them to grow one year, many years ago. I think it just gets too darn hot here for them.
You know I used to hate orange and yellow cause everyone had so much of it in the 70's - but then the last few years they've started looking better and better to me - especially if there's any aqua or blue around them, and I love orange California poppies.
Can't wait to see what you come up with!

6:47 pm  
Blogger VintagePretty said...

It's strange when you're on your own and the house does stay tidy, hehe, that's husbands and kids for you! Love the collage - can't wait to see picture of your garden blossoming :)

8:38 pm  
Blogger Dot said...

Love your collage Robyn! It has a real sense of fun and humour about it. I am glad you had some space this weekend, and also understand that you must miss your family when they aren't there too.

Dotee xoxo

P.S I love Orange:)

8:53 pm  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

It's wonderful to sometimes have a weekend to yourself...and isn't it amazing how the house always stays clean? lol Love your collage, it's gorgeous!! I must email you to let you know I want to participate in the Christmas Pamper the Shopper swap:-)Hugs xox

11:49 pm  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

It is lovely, I think we have to secretly admit, to have the house completely to ourselves. I had two days completely by myself last year and it was such fun. NO mess, made myself what I call pretty girly foods, such as colourful salads. Indulged in a couple of glasses of wine, no conversation, but indulged myself reading books and magazines, playing music and singing very loudly. Fun but just for a couple of days though.

12:39 am  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Your collage work is wonderful. :)

What are your plans for your moon garden?

1:26 am  
Blogger Laurie said...

It's nice to have a bit of time alone isn't it ~

Today is the Feast of the Guardian Angels!!

3:10 am  
Blogger zuzu said...

Hey Miss Robyn =^..^=

Fab-bu little collage ... Adore the dancing root children-pixies with their little green hats.

The paper in your journal is likely curling because of it's content/weight. Glue isn't the best to use (high water content causes the paper to roll, it gets brittle & yellows down the road too.)

If the paper is thin, you can use a bit of rubber cement here and there to hold things down. I'm just guessing at what you might be working with ... But truth be told, best is to get a top quality paper to work with (most journals have thin-weight paper and not often much good). You will see what I mean as soon as you once work with a high grade paper. Yummer stuff! I am an avocate of learning art while using the best quality materials you can find. I also believe in trying LOTS of different materials/supplies & playing with them to see what suits YOU best.

I use lots of different handmade papers that are thick & with a high cotton rag content or linen...But my favorite is Good coldpress watercolor rag. Wonderful for collage! You can paint on it, soak it, ink it, scratch it, sand it, you name it ... It stands up and looks fantastic.

If the paper you are using is good stuff, try matte gel medium for holding your work to the page. I like the brand GOLDEN. Awesome stuff!

The other thing? Tie the book shut when it's dry and so what if the art is curling a bit. It's kinda cool. Art is meant to be a bit messy. Have you not been in a painters studio before? Messy Messy :o)

Hope you found my comment the other day ... On your post about faeries?

Miss you. =^..^= zU

7:12 am  
Blogger Rosa said...

Is not that the best feeling in the world? Not having to clean up for anyone but yourself? Gee, what a difference! Robyn, I can't believe how the art bug has bitten you! You are awesome girl!! So glad to see you n the ATC group. Fun!! xoxo

3:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home